Monday, April 6, 2009

Some of My Special Buttons

circa mid 1800's etched monogrammed mother-of-pearl

I have been collecting vintage buttons seriously for about 2 years now. This interest came hand-in-hand with my developing art of making wrist cuffs and chokers from vintage fabrics and findings. The more of these exquisite items I came across, the more inspired I became in my art. I couldn't believe how finely crafted these little jewels were...

Most of my buttons were sourced online or through a few dealers I know at local markets. I would also go to any vintage textiles events happening in my city and beyond.

About one month ago however I was put in touch with a woman who had an estate of a fine seamstress who sewed during the 1940's. I was 'warned' that this was quite a superior collection of buttons, laces, threads and many other objects of her trade.

Upon entering the room this was all displayed in for my perusal I was awed by the beauty of it all. Of perhaps close to 1,000 buttons on display 1/3 of them were very exceptional. Another 1/3 were very lovely and the remaining 1/3 ordinary.

Oh course by the time I left, heart beating a little faster, I was the proud new owner of a spectacular collection. I have had a great time sorting, categorizing and researching this bounty.

Here are a few of the special ones. I will continue with some more photos in another post soon. (I have already posted about the 3 black Art Deco shawl/collars that were from this estate).
Victorian silver lustre glass snowflake, carved metal with m-o-p inlay & cut steels, etched & carved glass with metal, metal openwork
Victorian celluloid with faceted steel insets & cupped rims.
these are 5 part buttons. (they have 5 different components)

1930's carved wood & hand-painted 'goofies' or 'realistics'


1 comment:

Waterrose said...

It's been a long time since I visited! What wonderful buttons! Love the wood carved...never have seen any like that before.