Saturday, May 9, 2009

Gorgeous Cushions

I have cushion envy. Big time. These are my friend's Clare's cushions. I helped her re-vamp this little sofa about a year ago. It came from her Mom's estate all the way from Great Britain after she passed away. It held great sentimental value for Clare. This sofa was also built like a tank; in a good way! The fabric, however was a dull, tan color that had long since seen better days.

I had an upholstery expert I know from the film biz re-do the piece in this great brushed steely blue velvet. As per Clare's wishes it was all filled with down feathers. In her memory when she sat on this couch you sank into it, were enveloped by it and this aspect had to remain through the cosmetic makeover...

Back to the cushions... Clare knows a good thing. I had lusted after these whenever I browsed through Constantine, an exquisite home decor shop on Yonge St. in Toronto. Every item in this shop is hand picked with an eye for the best. The best does not come cheap let's say.

One day I went to visit Clare and I was stunned to see 5 of these silk velvet works of art cushions in her living room. She had been working out at a gym across the street and spied them in the window. The rest is history...

The colors of this collection are out of this world. I doubt my picture does them much justice here but you can get an idea. Luminous and sensual these down filled squares of delight are a feast for the eyes and skin. They shimmer as the light through the front window filters into the room.

They do her Mom's sofa proud.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

3 comments:

sleepingpoet said...

These cushions are utterly lovely!

Waterrose said...

beautiful pillows and I would love to sink into that sofa!

Kellie Collis said...

I adore the beautiful textures! Kellie