Sunday, January 25, 2009

Nod to Valentines Day




I'm not big on sentiments on demand. I'm not sure I'm into creating art to market for holidays either. Somehow though, I felt compelled to do something with hearts. I guess I'm seeing it everywhere and caved.

Inspiring me however, is a fabulous stash of deep blood red antique silk velvet I have. It was just born to be used in such a way. Pairing it with equally lush and complex lace fragments took these hearts down an interesting path.

I realized each one emerged with a distinct personality. The first, more simple one is called, "my treasured heart". It is earnest and pure. The second, more complex one is called, "my fanciful heart". It likes to show itself off a bit...

So now I'm getting into it, having a bit of fun with them. Do I keep going... no one has shown much interest yet... I'm not sure a man would think to buy one for his love. It's not jewelry.

Would a woman buy one for herself?

...these are ornaments to hang, wherever your heart desires...

4 comments:

Penelope said...

They're lovely! I don't see why they can't be popular all the year round- I've been strangely interested in heart-shapes for some time now, and I don't celebrate Valentine's Day at all -with a partner to make a point of it or not! If Halloween can be popular all year round there's no reason why hearts can't be. :)

Patricia said...

Let us hope that the celebration of love isn't limited to one day per year!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful and romantic! I think fanciful heart is the one that wins my heart :) These creations should not be limited to Valentine's Day, but are great for year-round love.

Waterrose said...

What beautiful hearts. And even though we are sometimes not apt to create because of the holiday...it's very hard to pass up the opportunity to use such luscious supplies to make something even more exquisite!