Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Leonard Cohen

I am a huge Leonard Cohen fan. If you don't know him, he is a Canadian poet and singer from Montreal. His first album, made in the mid sixties, 'Songs of Leonard Cohen' include the now classics "Suzanne", "Sister of Mercy" and "So Long Marianne". He explores themes of the human condition like no other. His lyrics are stand alone poetry of which one can hear time and time again.
He is now in his early 70's. I had the great pleasure of seeing him in concert last month. He sold out around 5 shows in Toronto's premiere concert venue. The audience was enthralled from beginning to end. A class act in top vocal form. Enough gushing...
When I came across this print on Etsy, by Oliver Lake at Lake Illustration, I had to have it. Oliver is a very talented illustrator from the U.K. who does this style of portrait of all the iconic singers, actors, writers etc. of our time. I love his work and could see starting a collection; a grouping would be so dynamic! Here is his site: lakeillustration

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to find some of his music as I'm now intrigued, ypou'd mentioned him before but I don't think I've heard of him. Great Etsy buy too, it's ;lovely to have something original rather than mass produced, (I'd say that was our ethos really ha).
Debra :-)

woolies said...

LOVE his work. Go to YouTube and type in "Hallelujah". One of my favorites.

FoundVintageStyle said...

will try that woolies! thanks!